Saturday, July 26, 2008

Reflections on a Beach

"As I was walking on a North Carolina beach one morning, the idea for this parable began to take shape in my mind. Knowing we relate to God in many different ways, I saw those relationships reflected in the people on the beach. This book is about exploring and understanding our relationship to the Divine."

This is the introduction to a little project I've been working on for some time. I finally finished it up this week. Reflections on a Beach is a short parable and guidebook about relationship with God.

I wrote the first version of this parable several years ago and used it in a sermon at Pilmoor Memorial UMC. Since that time I've alternately worked on the story, studied publishing options, and just ignored it for months at a time. The thought of finding a publisher was overwhelming. Then, a couple of years ago, I heard about Lulu.com in a presentation by David Warlick.

The wonderful thing about self publishing through Lulu.com is it does not cost a dime until you are ready to buy a book. The author has complete control over the text, the cover, the price, etc. I uploaded the text as a Word document, uploaded a couple of pictures for the cover, and used their online tools to put it all together.

Even after finding Lulu, I still had trouble getting to a final edit. I blamed it on a new job, courses I was taking, etc. Then, early this year, on three separate occasions in church, I felt compelled to finish the book. Maybe it was God communicating with me, maybe it was my subconcious, but the message was clear. Finish the book.

So here it is. I hope someone finds it helpful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aside from his lovely wife, Beth, my husband and I were honored to be among the first to receive a copy of this book. I saw the rough draft several years ago. I was touched by it then and am even more touched by it now. The author has been for me, a spiritual mentor and a messenger of God. 'Reflections on a Beach' is yet another blessing. Don't miss it.
The Wolf Lady Next Door