Sunday, November 11, 2007

Two generations experience the new Nissan GT-R

This week I had an experience that illustrates the impact technology, and particularly video games, are having on how we experience the world. I received the new Motor Trend magazine this week. It includes an article on the new Nissan GT-R which is scheduled to be released in the US next year. This car is obviously out of my price range but it is fun to read about.

My son Timothy was walking through the living room as I was reading the article and I shared it with him. I thought he would be excited to hear about it since we had discussed it previously. Instead he said, "Yeah, I know. I'm driving it upstairs." Turns out the Play Station 3 game Gran Turismo 5 includes the car as one of the choices. It was included when the came was released but it was not unlocked for play until the day the car was actually unveiled. So while I was reading a magazine and looking at pictures he was having a very different experience. He was using a steering wheel, pedals, and a big screen TV to experience the car from the driver's seat. Wow.

21st Century Sheep expect experiences that are interactive and engaging. How do we address this need in our churches?


No comments: